Monday, August 2, 2010

Korea part 2 - food

I was wondering what to blog about for Korea part 2 so I looked through my photos from Korea and I saw that almost half of them were of food. So, why not blog about some of the food I ate?
Everything I ate tasted spicy or the meals almost always consisted of something that would burn my tongue. Look, I didn't grow up on spicy food... yes, I ate Korean food with my Korean friends but I would always ask the waiter to give me a mild version. There is no such thing in Korea so I sucked it up and ate these spicy dishes. I shed some tears along the way. Good tears, that is.

Photobucket
Live squid part 1- My friend insisted on taking me to eat live squid. I've always wondered what it would taste and feel like but never was I expecting to try some on my trip.
Photobucket
Live squid part 2- The actual thing.... LIVE squid. I know it's not a big deal in Korea but um hello? The freaking thing sticks to your inner cheek and if you don't chew it fast enough, you can suffocate and die. Man, gotta love the Koreans.
Photobucket
Jajamyun- 3000 won (around 2 dollars)! SO CHEAP! This was pretty bomb diggity. We ordered it to the dorm and we didn't even have to pay tip or the delivery fee. Service is free in Korea so ordering in is just as satisfying as eating out.
Photobucket
Jol myung- Chewy noodles in hot sauce. Basically I ate this every week. My go-to meal.
Photobucket
Sangyupsal (pork) - This was the best sangyupsal I've had. The best, I'm telling you people. The sauce added so much to the flavor. There were thinly sliced sweet onions in the sauce base which complimented the crispy pork. My friend and I ended up having this twice in the minimum of three days.
Photobucket
Sundae (pig intestines)- I was reluctant to eat this but it actually wasn't that bad. I mean, I wouldn't choose to eat this if I'm hungry but it was interesting. It had a chewy texture and the spices actually numbed the flavor.
Photobucket
Dak galbi- Chicken stirred with dduk (mochi) and vegitables. This was actually pretty good. It burned my tongue and I ended up drinking at least 10 glasses of water since the cups so damn small in Korea. After we finish eating, the waiter comes with a bowl of rice and gojujang and makes fried rice out of it. So spicy.
Photobucket
Dak galbi #2- It was a bit different from the one I had before because it had more vegetables but all in all, it tasted the same.
Photobucket
Spicy mandoo (fried dumplings)- I ate this Bi Bim Guk Soo, which is wheat noodles in spicy sauce.
Photobucket
All-you-cant-eat-BBQ- I ate this 3xs in one week. So unhealthy but oh so good. We got to choose a variety of meets including galbi, san gyup sal, bulgolgi, etc. I've obviously had Korean BBQ before but man oh man, the price was just too good to be true. It was only 6,000 won, which comes out to be around 5 dollars in the states.
Photobucket
Fried tofu and grilled meat- We had to order anju (appetizer) so we got this. I forgot what this is called in Korean but it seemed like it was some sort of knock off of a Japanese dish. This was eh okay probably cause it wasn't an actual restaurant. Nonetheless, we finished the plate like we always did.
Photobucket
Ramyun (ramen noodles)- I don't what it was but this was the best Korean ramyun I've ever had, maybe cause I was in Korea. I still consider Ramen and Ramyun as two separate things. Ramen>Ramyun. hehe.
Photobucket
Wang mandoo (big dumpling)- only 1000 won, which is like 85 cents. I remember buying these at Nijiya market when I was a kid and was pleasantly surprised when Korea had them too. I ate this whenever I would walk to the subway station. The guy knew which kind I wanted by the end of the 4 week period I stayed in Korea.
Photobucket
Wang mandoo- mmm so good
Photobucket
Fruit smoothies- 1000 won too. I would buy this along with my Wang mandoo and enjoy my cheap but oh so delicious meal.
Photobucket
French fries-on-a-stick - The most bizarre thing I saw in Korea. I didn't eat it cause I probably would've had a severe case of heart burn but I needed to grab a picture of this. The lady in this picture gave me the stink eye but how can you resist? So many people lined up to order a death-on-a-stick.
Photobucket
Street food- Everywhere I went in Korea, people were always selling food on the streets. Apparently it's really good but unsanitary so I didn't try it. It ends up coming out as the same price as naeng myun so why not take the safer route? I kind of wish I tried it though.. aha
Photobucket
Waffle with Green tea and Vanilla Ice cream- it was okay.... I feel like in Korea everyone likes the presentation more than the actual taste. It looks better than it actually tastes.
Photobucket
Babingsoo (shaved ice)- This was okay too. Now that I'm in Japan, this falls short by a mile in comparison to the shaved ice I've eaten here. However, at that time, it wasn't so bad.
Photobucket
Waffle and Green Tea Babingsoo- The best desert in Korea. It actually tasted how it looked.

Some of the meals I enjoyed in Korea. I ate so much more but kind of lazy to bust out the camera when my stomach is grumbling like the cookie monster.


3 comments:

  1. YURIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    im at work looking at this and OMG! it just KILLED ME!!! omg omg omg!!
    i wanna go to korea!!!!
    Dude..so many things remind me of Taiwan..seriously. The street carts, and the Wang Mandoo? THATS CHINESE FOOD! Im telling ya!

    The Live squid..ew.. i dont think i'd EVER have the courage to eat it..I'll prolly be the one who died (knock on wood) cause it got stuck to my throat....

    ANYWAY..im so fucking jealous. UGHHHH

    ReplyDelete
  2. yuri. street food is bomb. omg. I'm so jealousssss.

    ReplyDelete